"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Book Review: Sippy Cups are not for Chardonnay

As obnoxious as it might sound (or read) as I'm writing this ... I like to think of myself as a hip mom with wit, style and well, no, not class. Therefore, the title of this book (and the fact that Molly Shannon from SNL thought it was was good) made it instantly appealing to me. Plus, I like wine.

Now a little forewarning before going any further in this post. This book is not for the Sanctimommies out there. Those who are not comfortable with cursing might not want to read this book either. The author, Stefanie Wilder-Taylor, doesn't curse a whole lot but it's enough that some might be offended. Also, she touches on subjects some might not wish to address (such as sex) and is really BLUNT about other things. I plan on posting a few tidbits from this book, so beware!

Wilder-Taylor covers typical mommy topics such as going to mommy groups, dealing with the Alpha Mom and sex after baby from her point of view. Although in some instances she's giving advice, this book isn't a reference book by any means and she's clearly kidding in some parts.

Below are a few bits I found very amusing (I won't post too many so not to spoil the fun should you read it!):

ON BABY MONITORS --

"Some people get the video monitors so they can keep an eye on their baby, as though they're working the night shift at 7-eleven and their baby's a potential shoplifter."

ON BABY EINSTEIN --

"I have to say, watching a puppet in a raspberry beret speak with a bad French accent is downright frightening -- unless you're buzzed, then' it's hilarious ... "

ON PACKING A DIAPER BAG --

"I know a lot of women still stuff steamer trunks like they're going on the Gilligan's Island 'three hour cruise,' secretly thinking they might be stuck somewhere with their baby for eight seasons."

Overall, the book was a delightful read. But there were a few instances when the comedic timing was a little redundant for me. I'm obviously not a comedian but have been to enough comedy shows and followed enough comedians to know a little bit about what makes funny, funny. As I was reading, I'd sometimes, hear the ol' "Ba Da Dum" drum roll after her punchlines in my head and that was the first clue maybe the comedic timing was getting a little old. HOWEVER, don't let this turn you away from this book (if you can put up with the aforementioned cursing and bluntness anyway). It's really funny and I seriously LOLed more than a dozen times. Once was while flying to Florida. I had my headphones on while reading and didn't quite realize how loud the laugh really was. That was embarrassing! The book also made me realize that I have a lot in common with yet another mom on this planet (which always feels good) and she made me think about some things in a different light (for instance, why going to Mommy and Me groups can be beneficial).

If you do buy this book, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

BTW, IF you read this book and you know me personally, I'd like to know which type of mommy you think I am. I think I lie somewhere between the dreaded Alpha Mom, Drama Mama and Freshman Mom (if that's possible).

3 comments:

caramama said...

Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this book. I didn't get too far, and ended up returning it. I just couldn't get into it. It felt like an advice book, with advice that didn't fit me or my baby. And I was also bothered by the comedic timing.

I'm glad you enjoyed it though! I'm sure lots of people do!

-goofydaddy said...

is there a daddy counterpart book? i'd be all over that.

i like the comment about diaper bags. sometimes i take my little girl out without one at all. i see it as a challenge ;-)

i think i may read this book so i can tell dana what type of mom she is...

La folle maman said...

kz -- I'll LEND you the book if you really want to read it. So far I haven't stumbled across any father versions of it, but if I do, I'll let you know!