"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Reading list, question for hardcore readers

Inspired by CaraMama and KZ, I'm going to try to fit in some reading. I've started several books, one of which I can't seem to find in my house anymore and I'm wondering if I left it somewhere. But I'd really like to start speaking like an educated adult again and I'm thinking by increasing my reading, it's gotta happen, right? I mean, er, it must happen, correct? ;)

Here's the short list:

Sippy cups are not for chardonnay (started, not finished)
Reading Lolita in Tehran (started ages ago, still haven't finished, may never since I never remember where I left off, which brings up a good point)

These two could be categorized as reference books but I still want to read them:

Raising a Son (started, LOST)
Toddler

I regularly watch the Colbert Report and he has recently interviewed the writers of some books I think I may be interested in as well. Here's what I plan to add to the list eventually (maybe in between the others -- if that is possible).

The Purpose Driven Life
Red Letter Christians
You're Wearing That?: Understanding Mothers and Daughters in Conversation (CaraMama introduced me to this author ages ago and I've been meaning to read this one but was reminded of it by Colbert)

AND POSSIBLY,
The Cult of the Amateur: How today's Internet is killing our culture

But that might be asking too much for this year. Am I pathetic or what?

Question to the hardcore readers

What if the book just doesn't grab you? For instance, I've started Reading Lolita in Tehran several times and I just can't seem to finish it. It's interesting to find out pre-revolutionary and post-revolutionary Iran but it's really hard to follow -- or maybe that's just me. So when do you give up and why? I feel as though I should finish this book because of it's significance to what our country is dealing with now in regard to Iran. However, for whatever reason, it just doesn't grip me like other books have in the past.

3 comments:

-goofydaddy said...

unfortunately for me, i keep reading a story even if its bad. so i make sure and get recommendations or reviews from people who have similar taste in fiction. i do read non-fiction sometimes, but not so much. i like american history books if i'm looking for non-fiction :-)

caramama said...

I used to keep reading books even if I wasn't into them. But in the last few years I've changed that attitude for a few reasons. The two most important to me are:

1. I read for pleasure, so if I'm not getting any pleasure out of the book, I put it down.
2. I don't have much extra time (especially since baby), so if I'm not enjoying a book, I'm not going to waste any more time on it.

The exception to my new attitude is if someone really highly recommends a book. And even then, it depends. Like I powered my way through Cryptonomicon because my BIL really thought I'd like the story even though I didn't like the writing (oh kz--I'd love to know what you think of that book, if you've ever read it or want to read it). But I didn't bother getting far in The Life of Pi even though many people recommended it, and that's because I don't like to read about animals getting hurt, and there was too much of that in the book so no amount of recommendations would make up for that.

I have found that I don't really miss books that I don't finish. There are too many other good books out there for me to enjoy. HTH!!

Oh, and thanks for listing that Tannen book! I didn't realize it existed, and now will have to buy it right away.

La folle maman said...

caramama -- thanks for "letting me off the hook"! I think I'm just going to put that one book away for good. Anyone want to take it?!

YAY! One less commitment! :)