"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Movies and Television -- New Vantage Point

Updated below

In the past few weeks, I've noticed something about my attitude toward things I had watched PRIOR to lil' Monkey's birth and how it has changed. I'm not talking about cursing or nudity or the usual things adults change their minds about once becoming parents. I'm referring more to the feelings certain movies or television shows evoke while watching them.

I can recall two instances where my emotions regarding something I've watched made me realize I have a whole new vantage point on the world as we know it. I know there was a third but I can't think of it now.

1) Lord of the Rings, Two Towers -- I was watching this movie this past weekend (TNT was rerunning the trilogy). And you know that scene where all of the women are sent to the bowels of Helm's Deep for safety? Well, two scenes from that particular part of the movie brought me to tears unlike before.

The first being the scene where the men are ripping the young boys from the mothers' arms to go to battle. This really struck home for me. I wouldn't want Monkey at the front lines of Helm's Deep facing Sauron's army! (Yes, I realize this is all fiction -- or is it? If our country institutes the draft again ... let's just say I'm thinking of starting Monkey on French lessons.)

The second being the scene where the blond woman is holding her little blond haired toddler who is crying heavily as they hear Sauron's army approaching. That, too, made me a little upset.

2) DWTS, this week -- They had two kid couples on the results show this week. Both danced better than some of the stars! But only one couple would continue on to appear week after week. The judges did a nice job of complementing them both but in the end, they had to choose a couple.

Before Monkey's birth I thought the concept of a trophy for everyone, even the losing team, was completely bogus, setting these kids up for a life of failure because they'd expect the world to honor them even if they aren't the best or work as hard. This competition between the two kid couples last night made me rethink it just for a bit. But in the end, I still agree with my original sentiment. Take the losing team out to dinner and recognize them for their efforts, but no trophies.

Has anything you've watched since becoming a parent made you stop and think about your feelings or viewpoint whereas you either thought nothing of it or thought differently before?

UPDATE (4/10/2008)

I just read
this post by Gray Matter, and felt horrified for my child. What kind of world are we living in anyway? What is wrong with the parents of these deranged children?

3 comments:

Becoming Mommy said...

Actually, even as a kid I thought of the Awards for Everyone! Concept as a load of manure. Kids know what a Participant Ribbon/Trophy is. They all know it's the loser award. You really aren't doing anything to increase their self esteem.
I know. I got them every year on Field day. I hated Field Day.
Nothing but a way to humiliate the uncoordinated spazes who have yet to grow into their arms and legs.
As a parent, what's changed? I can't watch bad things happening to children on anything. Not even the surgery channel.

Becoming Mommy said...

I answered you in my blog.

caramama said...

Yeah, I'm totally viewing EVERYTHING from a different perspective now that I'm a mother. Even the Cyndi Lauper song "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was one I heard while pregnant and thought of what her mother must have been going through with her difficult daughter! HA!

It's just amazing how my view of the world has this new aspect to it.