"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Snoring, lack of sleep and the BIG MOVE

In a previous post, I've mentioned DH's snoring and how it is causing a major lack of sleep for me. One night it got so bad that I decided to sleep in the hallway between our bedroom and our son's bedroom. As I laid on the floor trying to get comfortable, I could STILL hear his snoring even with our door shut. I thought about how to rearrange our furniture in the upper floor of our home so we'd have two completely separate living quarters. That's how angry I was at the time.

The plan was to move his computer into our bedroom and my dresser into the office. Get a daybed or probably one of those bunk beds where you could put my desk underneath since the room we're calling "our office" is small. The next morning, I told DH of my plan. Only then did he realize how serious I was about this snoring thing.

He suggested we try alternative methods first. We tried the Breathe Right strips. Nope. We tried the Snore Relief spray. Lasted about 45 minutes. We're now down to ear plugs for me and the monitor turned up sitting on my night stand so I can hear our lil' Monkey should he cry.

I don't like this solution. I hate wearing ear plugs to bed. It's a strange feeling and I worry that I might not hear lil' Monkey or something else (tornadoes, fire, any catastrophic disaster my paranoid brain can come up with at 3 a.m. in the morning as I lay awake).

So we've decided that the "office" is going BACK to basement where we had it prior to Monkey's birth. Well, not quite. It used to be in the room in our basement we now call the "guest room" but we've decided that room is now going to be the cats new home. PERMANENTLY. Our desks will go in various areas in the rest of the basement and we'll figure out the wiring, networking, ecetera somehow.

The guest bed and associated furniture, however, will be going back to their original spots in the room next to Monkey's which is now our "office". The "cat room" as it will now be called will have miscellaneous furniture in it that we can't fit elsewhere in our house and we're planning on buying one of those really nice cat trees for them.

This is a lot of work. We started this weekend by cleaning up the various Christmas storage boxes and baby items meant for storage since I neglected to put any of this stuff in our crawl space after the holidays. So we're about one-fifth of the way there. But sleep is on the horizon and hopefully, I'll be a less cranky La Folle as a result.

On a side note: Anyone's toddler eaten a bee before? We had a dead one in the track of our sliding glass door and Monkey ate it about an hour ago. We're keeping an eye on him but darn! The kid refused TOAST this morning but will eat BEES?!

10 comments:

- Dana said...

I feel your pain with the snoring. I've tried ear plugs too - not comfortable! Since I've been falling asleep alone most nights for the past 15 months, the last month with our new schedule has been hard to adjust. He falls asleep much faster than me and I'm a light sleeper, so even heavy breathing makes it hard. Thankfully he doesn't snore all the time and it tends to come and go. Plus he sleeps so hard that he doesn't remember me beating on him (j/k...partly - you know I love you Goofy Daddy!). Having another bed close by for Plan B when the snoring gets really bad seems like good idea for you and worth all that shifting around. Hope you get better sleep soon!

La folle maman said...

dana -- Thanks. Sorry you are dealing with the same situation. DH never used to snore this much. It USED to be occasionally. Now it's every night. We thought it might have been due to the heat drying out the air in our house but we haven't used the heat a lot lately so that rules it out.

Do you just deal with it or do you sleep elsewhere when it happens?

-goofydaddy said...

she deals with it. usually by poking me in the ribs and telling me to "get on your SIDE!" and of course, my sleepy self hears "get on YOUR side!" so i think she thinks i'm encroaching on her side of the bed. which i'm not (and usually i'm close to the edge anyway for some reason...), so i of course get upset and say "I am on MY side!" so she just keeps nudging me until i turn on my side.
never try to reason with me when i'm asleep. it just doesn't work, and i sometimes say the weirdest things.

-goofydaddy said...

oh and nothing bad happens if you eat a bee unless it stings you on the way down, and since that one was dead, won't be a problem. i swallowed a bee once when riding my bike (around 3rd grade). and i turned out fine *twitch *twitch. really.

- Dana said...

I wonder what made your DH's snoring get so bad all of a sudden.

I just deal with it. But I push him so he faces the outside of the bed and I roll over to face the other side...and sometimes I turn on the fan because any other constant noise to focus on helps me not get so annoyed at his noise, haha. We have the guest bed upstairs too and if it came down to that, it would definitely get used (by him or myself).

Whenever we sleep near my parents, I hear both of them snore. They are really loud! I always wondered how they didn't constantly wake each other up. Maybe I need to figure out how to start snoring and join the band?

Becoming Mommy said...

Bees? No. But my youngest brother ate cockroaches and spiders out of the sliding door track when he was little.

He lived.

As for the snoring, I often sleep on the futon in our office because of that. Hubby starts up everytime he rolls to his back or if his allergies are bad.

Filters have helped the allergies, but I"m tempted to sew tennis balls to the back of his t-shirts to keep him on his side.

Becoming Mommy said...

oh, and hubby isn't the only loud one so he has times where his sleep is disturbed too.

Me, Sasha, and both dogs are sleep talk/walkers (well, he still doesn't walk in his sleep..so sleep crawler).

We can all be pretty loud. And then hubby sleeps in the office.

caramama said...

When my hubby snores, I push on him and complain loudly "You're snoring again!" He rolls over and that usually lasts long enough for me to fall back asleep.

I can't believe you slept in the hall and didn't kick him out of the bed!

Oh, and my dad ended up having surgery to remove a polyp in his nose which greatly reliefed his snoring and ability to breathe through his nose. Your hubby should look into that, because if didn't used to be so bad and now is THAT bad, it might be a medical reason.

Good luck!

I'm Not Skippy said...

I snore. Normally my wife sleeps through it.

There are some actual medical treatments for snoring. The most prevalent one is called a CPAP machine. Basically a breathing machine that you sleep with. It's intended for sleep apnea (which normally accompanies snoring).

An interesting fact about snoring (I've been dealing with this a long time). . . the average person sleeping with a snorer loses 20% sleep quality per night, the average snorer loses 40%. It may seem he's sleeping heavily, but if he's snoring he's not getting enough recuperative sleep, which can lead to lots of things including weight gain which can cause more snoring. He should ask a doctor about it.

I know, I'm a geek.

La folle maman said...

I'm not skippy -- Good to know. I've asked him to go to the doctor but it will probably take some more nagging before he actually takes me seriously. I think your factual information might help but then he will also use that card whenever I complain about being tired. :) catch 22 ...