"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin

Monday, August 18, 2008

Cover Me

The other day I was listening to a playlist I have which has songs by different women. One particular song came on that I really enjoy and I was thinking about how much I like her version more than the original or other versions of the song. It was Drove all night sung by Cyndi Lauper. I believe Roy Orbison did the original and Celine Dion has done a cover of this song as well but it's Ms. Lauper's that I enjoy the most.

Then I was thinking about other covers which I like more than the original. Here are few:
  • Ball of Confusion, preferred version by Love and Rockets
  • Take a Chance on Me, preferred version by Erasure
  • Hurt, preferred version by Johnny Cash
  • Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon, preferred version by Urge Overkill
Then I was thinking of the covers I hate:
  • Blue Monday, hated version by Orgy
  • Pretty Woman, hated version by Van Halen
So over to you, which covers do you love or hate?

4 comments:

Becoming Mommy said...

Oh...I like that Orgy Cover.

a truly aweful cover? Try "I Will Survive" by Babes in Toyland. Really, really really bad. But so bad as to be almost amusingly so. Like William Hung.

caramama said...

Cake did a fantastic version of I Will Survive. I wish I had a copy, because it is so amazing!

I also really love a cover that the Indigo Girls do of the Grateful Dead's Uncle John's Band.

lilmary said...

I realize that The Beatles are sacred to some but I love Candy Flip's version of Strawberry Fields. And thanks to caramama I just downloaded Cake's verion of I Will Survive. Forgot how much I love it, thanks!

-goofydaddy said...

preferred versions:
Hallelujah, preferred version by Jeff Buckley (I liked it before American Idol got a hold of it)
Get Down Make Love, preferred version by Nine Inch Nails. after hearing this on a b-side, i decided to find the queen version. very bad.

one of the worst:
A Night Like This, covered by Smashing Pumpkins. the original by the Cure is one of my favorites, and i'm just glad the smashing pumpkins only put that song on a b-side. the only reason i heard it is because i own every song the pumpkins put out :-)

La Folle - that hurts that you like the Johnny Cash version of Hurt. ;-)