"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Such a good little boy

Monkey's new song and some other simply adorable things he has done recently have made me realize how blessed I am to have such a good little boy. Last night, he did something I wish he'd do every night but I'll remember it always.

We did our normal little routine, dinner, bath, bottle, breast top-off and sitting on mommy and daddy's bed in our dimly lit bedroom. Usually I take him into his room when he shows more sleep signs and we read 2-4 books. Usually after those 2-3 books he'll protest a little as I say "Night Night" and "I love you" then leave the room. But tonight, as I walked him into his room, his head on my shoulder and I whispering into his ear, "Mommy loves you so much, my little babba," he simply pointed towards his crib and reached out for his little blue stuffed monkey (the replacement for his previous bed fellows). I couldn't believe my eyes as he simply curled up and went to sleep.

For some reason, this brought me to tears. I can't really pinpoint why but it did. Perhaps it's because I'm nearing "that time" but I just kept thinking to myself "what a good little boy I have" and how blessed I was to have him.

3 comments:

-goofydaddy said...

isn't it great when they realize they are tired, and actually know what to do?

I have a feeling you'll have a lot more moments like that over the years. raising kids can be tiring, and frustrating, and all that stuff. but when you have something like that happen, you realize that they're growing, developing, learning from what you are teaching them. and that is a great feeling. things we take for granted now, like going to sleep, are difficult for them. they didn't know how to do it! kids are amazing creatures.

I always thought that was weird. how could you get "over-tired"? a comfy bed is an AWESOME thing, why wouldn't a baby know that? well at some point they know it. I have to fight our little one just to get OUT of it in the morning!

I had a moment just like what you described (i didn't cry though, i'm a man!) recently, and i stood there too long. she got mad at me and told me to "go daddy!"

sorry for the morning babble. :-)

caramama said...

OMG! I'm totally jealous! That is absolutely sweet and a good sign for bedtimes of the future. What a good boy!

La folle maman said...

goofydaddy -- Maybe my parents didn't establish a good bed time routine because I always have a hard time going to sleep! I do remember Dad talking a lot about how he used to rock me to sleep. Maybe I need a really big rocking chair and rock myself to sleep. j/k

Hopefully, Monkey's bedtime routine habits will prove that he won't have the same issues his mommy does!

caramama -- I was thinking of you when I posted this. Pumpkin seems to be getting better and better though, right?